Thursday 16 June 2016

Birds and More Birds

This year we had a couple of bird related incidents within a relatively short period of time. 

First of all a Mother Goose decided to build a nest beside our boat.  The mother ignored me as we would come and go except when her eggs began to hatch.  On that day I had the father goose fly at me a number of times whenever I tried to approach our boat.  I had to arm myself with a hose to ward off the flying attacks.  Finally I had Maria hold the hose to protect me as I moved the boat to the other side of the dock.  Once done we could approach the boat without worrying about an attack from the air!

Mother Goose on her nest

Taking the little ones for a walk

The family including Father Goose

The second incident occurred when a baby bird fell out of its nest as our marina power washed their covered slips.  Michelle from a boat called “38 Special” adopted the bird when the mother bird did not return.  It was the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen … It looked like a baby vulture with no feathers and a big beak.  It’s amazing how much it’s changed in a week.  It’s now learned how to fly and likes to sit on each of us and the lucky ones get pooped on!  Note that I didn’t feel very lucky to be pooped on a few times.  Michelle has done a great job feeding the bird (Dog food, worms, bugs & seeds).  I don’t think she’ll ever release it to the wild … She thinks that it won’t be able to survive since it’s been spoiled to death!  I think that she's just as attached to the bird as the bird is attached to her.
The Bird's new mother - Michelle from 38 Special

Maria with a new friend

Why does this bird like me???

No comments:

Post a Comment